|Airborne Pathogens and Ammonia
coming to a town near you. Adams
County golf resort imperiled, assuming
visitors don't like flies and the stink of
liquid cow manure mists
Politicized DNR straddled Wood County and took a huge regulatory crap on human health, social well-being and plummeting home values, at request of Scott Walker-connected law firm
By Restore Kewaunee
The DNR has permitted Central Sands Dairy in Wood County [and Juneau Co] for manure irrigation. More than 60 fields in Wood County have been approved for manure irrigation BEFORE the state-run Manure Irrigation Workgroup issued their recommendations and offered a public meeting.
Central Sands Dairy gets to -
- Spray in winds up to 15mph (because odors and mists fall to the ground at 14mph)
- Self-monitor and self-report (WI's water problems clearly indicate how well that works)
- Spray in an area which has groundwater contamination so high in nitrates, the irrigation wells are considered a "major source of nutrients" (Hail to Irony!)
- Well test for only one year (then...eh...we'll see)
- Self-monitor with two-hour observation intervals (please, have you read the Rap Sheets? Years of reports are missing from WPDES Permit files and they still re-issue a permit every five years...there is no incentive to drive 55 when the cops are never around)
- Shoot shit out of an end gun but only during the day (because they did not like "preliminary findings" the Workgroup research provided)
- Spray at night (when there are no UV rays to kill pathogens and it is highly unlikely you will be able to observe equipment in the dark )
We might as well prepare for this ourselves [in Kewaunee County]. Pagel's Ponderosa has a permit issuance coming along with other large farms in the county.
Any townships that did not enact a ban ... even as a temporary safeguard until the kinks got worked out ... may now have deep regrets.