Apr 12, 2018

Holocaust Remembrance Day Observed April 12, 2018

The internationally recognized date for Holocaust Remembrance
Day corresponds to the 27th day of Nisan on the Hebrew calendar.
It marks the anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. In
Hebrew, Holocaust Remembrance Day is called Yom Hashoah.
When the actual date of Yom Hashoah falls on a Friday,
the state of Israel observes Yom Hashoah on the preceding
Thursday. When it falls on a Sunday, Yom Hashoah is
observed on the following Monday. From the United States
Holocaust Memorial Museum
. Holocaust Remembrance Day.
From Alois J. Liethen, (United States Army, Military Intelligence), 13 April 1945, letter from Ohrdruf and Buchenwald:

"Oh yes, incidentally I might add that there were about 400 guards, SS, you know the outfit that is supposed to be the elite guard for the Fuehrer. That they were specially picked men is something that I can well agree on, FOR THEY WERE HAND PICKED FOR THEIR BRUTALITY. Oddly enough these vanished like the wind when our forces came and they think that even tho they have changed their uniforms that they have eluded us, well, here is the catch, any one who belongs to a military unit and is found in civvies is classed as a spy -- subject to being executed summarily – and as we run over the land here they are bound to be behind our lines -- or the Russians. Just as a sidelight I mentioned to Gen Patton yesterday that while I was awaiting the official entourage I had spoken to a guard, an SS man, who had been attached to another unit like the one that I described above. The general reprimanded me before about 500 other GI's when I told him that this man was still alive when I left him. All I can say is this, I, up to the writing of this letter haven't killed anyone directly, I haven't even fired a shot, but should I see any of the men that were in command of one of those outfits I will not hesitate to perform my duty regardless where or when it should be."

—Alois J. Liethen 13 April 1945, letter from Ohrdruf and Buchenwald

This transcription with commentary and biography is in support of a gift to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum by Michael A., Stephen S. and Philip C. Liethen of their father’s photographs taken in April 1945 at the Ohrdruf and Buchenwald concentration camps.

The originals of all of Alois J. Liethen’s war letters are held by the Wisconsin State Historical Society Archives in Madison, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment