Jun 30, 2017

One Cop, and Only One, Objects to Murder of Philando Castile

Remember Philando Castile, human being
"I watched the dash cam video. And it broke me. ... So today, I stand up and speak out, even if it means standing alone. To the family of Philando Castile, to those that loved him, and to everyone who watched that video and felt broken inside, I am sorry. This shouldn’t have happened. His life mattered."
Detective Angela Kamoske of the Madison, Wisconsin Police Department

Among the 1,000s of people cops have killed the last few years, the utter disregard for human life remains a constant over time.

On June 22, Mal Contends notes 569 people were killed by cop to that day. That's eight days ago.

As of June 29, 595 people were killed, (Killed by Police). By the end of the July 4 holiday weekend, well over 600 people will have been killed by cops.

What type of person is capable of aiming a weapon at someone and then pulling the trigger of a pistol with the intent of killing a human being in cold blood?

The truth is, from a first-person perspective, I will never understand the savage cowardice and anti-human psychology of a cop. So, I don't know the answer to this question.

One cannot reason and emphasize with killers. I mean I watch Dirty Harry and Tarantino movies and enjoy them, but not to the extent of running out and buying a 44 and killing somebody. The phantasm of achievement in film is fantasy. Most cops don't understand this.

More disturbing are the by-standers. Cops can do anything, anything, and the vast majority of people will watch silently or turn away, or meow that images of Mr. Castile shot dead, for example, are distasteful.

After the acquittal of the killer cop who gunned down Philando Castile, one cop objected publicly. One decent woman hurt by the reality that a family has been devastated.

Below is the text of the letter from Angela Kamoske, detective with the Madison, Wisconsin Police Department. The words of Ms. Kamoske offer hope decency will prevail.

The letter appeared in the St. Paul Pioneer Press on June 25, 2017:

Philando Castile's Life Mattered

By Angela Kamoske

I have been a police officer for 19 years. I love my job and serving my community. I have learned over the course of my career to never assume anything. As I watched the events unfold on July 6, 2016, on a Facebook Live feed, I thought that there must be more that happened. There must have been such a threat that wasn’t captured on this video, that forced Officer Yanez to feel his only option was to shoot into a vehicle with a child in the back seat.

Over the past two days, I have listened to the audio interviews. I have read the documents. And then I watched the dash cam video. And it broke me. Officer Yanez was in a position that if he perceived a threat, he could have disengaged. He could have taken other steps to ensure everyone’s safety, and not have forced this outcome.

Shooting a seat-belted man, with a child in the back seat, was not the only option. Until those of us who wear the badge are willing to stand up and speak out when we see things that are wrong, and lead hard conversations, how can we ever expect change? How can we ever expect to rebuild trust within our communities? Barbecues and pick-up basketball games are nice, but that’s not going to do it. So today, I stand up and speak out, even if it means standing alone. To the family of Philando Castile, to those that loved him, and to everyone who watched that video and felt broken inside, I am sorry. This shouldn’t have happened. His life mattered.

Have a fun and safe holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment