Mar 15, 2013

Researcher Seeks Veterans for Study on Mental Health Stigma

Researcher, Tony Martinez, is seeking veterans who have experienced a "stigmatization" regarding military mental health treatment.

The confidential information would be used  "in an effort of reducing possible military mental health stigma and providing needed psychological services for our troops" and Marines, Martinez writes.

Veterans can reach Martinez at: tony.martinez@my.pacifica.edu .

From an e-mail circulating among veterans advocates:
My name is Tony Martinez and I am researcher at Pacifica Graduate Institute in Carpinteria, CA. The reason why I am contacting you is that I am interested in conducting a study with (5) OEF (Operation Enduring Freedom or OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom) veterans regarding their experience of receiving mental health services in the military and their general perceptions of it.

My research indicates that veterans may feel a "stigmatization" regarding military mental health treatment, and therefore may not utilize it. This research will contribute to the body of work in this area as it needs to be further expanded in an effort of reducing possible military mental health stigma and providing needed psychological services for our troops. This is just a brief synopsis of my proposed study. I kindly ask that you would be able to reply at your earliest convenience to let me know if I would be able to utilize some of your members for the purposes of this study.

No comments:

Post a Comment