Mar 16, 2018

Wisconsin Governor's Race—Kelda Helen Roys, First Candidate Scratched from My List

Wisconsin candidate for governor,
Kelda Helen Roys airs what
she claims is unscripted and
pioneering campaign video.
Milking it for what it's worth in campaign video ploy


Madison, Wisconsin—Kelda Helen Roys is a candidate for the Wisconsin Democratic Party nominee for governor.

Like every other Democratic candidate, Roys is part of the pack in the latest Marquette University Law School Poll.

Voting for the fall gubernatorial primary begins on June 30.

To break out of the pack Roys is airing a contrived campaign video entitled "Our Girls" that the campaign presents as "groundbreaking" in a March press release.

The ploy worked and this well-conceived PR stunt garnered pieces across Wisconsin, and even a piece in People Magazine.

Roys came out for motherhood last week, and in what the candidate insists is an unplanned, unscripted moment, Roys breastfeeds her four-month-old daughter who is crying and just happened to be on hand for the video shoot that by happenstance discussed infant and child safety.

"I was right in the middle of talking so they just kept rolling figuring they would be able to use the sound," Roys told the Wisconsin State Journal,

Roys elaborated her defense of motherhood, saying that, "I don’t view it as a downside, the fact that I have kids. I view it as my greatest motivator and I think there are parents all over the state that will relate to that because they want the same things for their kids as I want for mine," (Wisconsin State Journal).

Roys told the same story to The Capital Times:

[Roys] also breastfeeds her four-month-old daughter, in a move she says was unplanned.

'I mean, no, other than that I’m a normal person. I’m a mom, I’m a businesswoman, I’m an advocate,' Roys said when asked if she intended for the breastfeeding moment to be the takeaway from the video. 'Like most working parents around the state, I juggle a lot of things and responsibilities, and I wear a lot of hats. When we were shooting the video, my family was obviously there, and when the baby needs to eat I just feed her.'

Roys is bright, progressive and has a lovely family. Moreover, Roys is 100-percent, spot-on the issues.

But c'mon, no one believes this stunt was not planned and the video on infant and child safety was not scripted.

This video is calculating and manipulative posturing.

Does Roys sincerely believe the Democratic Party electorate is stupid?

The Our Girls is below:

No comments:

Post a Comment