Aug 18, 2015

Scott Walker Says Repeal 14th Amendment Birthright Citizenship Clause

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
14th Amendment, Section One

No, say Republicans.

Cray, cray—as in crazy and immoral, will say Hispanics and Latinos, and most other Americans.

Scott Walker, Donald Trump and other Republicans say they want to repeal the birthright citizenship clause of the 14th Amendment as they compete to show racist Republican voters how much they despise immigrants.

"Shortly after Donald Trump released his immigration policy proposal on Monday, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker assured reporters that he agreed with Trump's opposition to 'birthright citizenship.' The Huffington Post did a quick count and figured that at least five other 2016 Republican candidates did, too," reports Phillip Bump in the Washington Post.

Elsewhere in the Post, Paul Waldman suggests Republicans with their nativism and crazy talk in immigration may have just handed the White House to the Democratic Party nominee.

Writes Waldman:

[Y]ou can’t say you’re pro-immigrant and advocate ending birthright citizenship. You just can’t.

I promise you that next fall, there are going to be ads like this running all over the country, and especially on Spanish-language media:

'My name is Lisa Hernandez. I was born in California, grew up there. I was valedictorian of my high school class, graduated from Yale, and now I’m in medical school; I’m going to be a pediatrician. But now Scott Walker and the Republicans say that because my mom is undocumented, that I’m not a real American and I shouldn’t be a citizen. I’m living the American Dream, but they want to take it away from me and people like me. Well I’ve got a message for you, Governor Walker. I’m every bit as American as your children. This country isn’t about who your parents were, it’s about everybody having a chance to work hard, achieve, and contribute to our future. It seems like some people forgot that.'

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment